Monday, March 5, 2012

Let the Heavens Cry for Me Instead

Today is Lolo Dado's second death anniversary. His death was the first in our immediate, closely-knit family circle. Many say that I inherited my singing voice from him. So remembering his death now ignites an aching desire to bring to a greater level the gift he shared with me.

I am re-posting this poem, which I wrote after we sent his remains back to Leyte. Before he died, he had been wanting to go back home. As I watched his coffin pushed into the van that would take him to the airport, the swelling emotions overtook my exhausted body - I would rather write than sleep or eat.

Then the rain poured. And the words flowed:


LET THE HEAVENS CRY FOR ME INSTEAD

Let the heavens cry for me instead
And moisten the crumbling dirt you become

Let the birds sing the song of grief
My voice, I hope you hear

Let the raindrops fall and kiss the earth where you lay
Oh, if only I could rescue you from decay!

I will take you home.
But you are home.


In Memoriam: Eduardo G. Encienzo Sr.
March 06, 2010


You will always be remembered, Lolo Dado. I know you are home. We love you.

Last touch. February 18, 2010 at VMMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment