Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Girl Named "Promise"

Last night's Gospel Jam was a very deep experience for me.

You see, my father named me "Arla" because he wanted all his children to get the first syllable of his name - Arthur. But many years ago, a good friend gave me a gift which gave deeper meaning to my name. It says there: Arla may be a variation of Arlene, which means "pledge" or "promise."

Last night's Gospel Jam was all about the promises of the Lord. I've always been a promise-believer. I don't know if it's a good thing to always be trusting and to always believe in the goodness of man. Some people call me naive and childish for I do not entertain thoughts that would complicate things. I believe simply because the person says so. Plain and simple.

But as you get older, you realize things are not simple. Yet, I still choose to view things as they are. I don't know. But this childlike faith in me tells me that when all else fails, that when people turn their backs from you, that when they don't do things as you expect them to, and worse, even do things that hurt you, I know Jesus will NEVER do that to me.

And if there's anyone who failed, it was me. I had pit stops. I had detours. I chickened out. I slacked off. I wandered.

I was just crying and crying when Eman Cauriz sang "Amazed" by Desperation band. (I just have to go a little personal here, because Eman and I go way, way back as music ministers in high school.) I don't know about him (peace, Eman! :D) but as for my then 14-year old self, I knew in my heart that God is going to use me and my gift in singing (okay, let's add speaking) to bring greater glory to His name.

And now, more than a decade after, hearing Eman hit the keys and belt out those notes was just a very mighty yet gentle reminder that God will fulfill what He has promised.

Yes, it's been a loooong time. And it might be futile to still believe. But there's a reason to believe the Lord when He gave us a promise: He does not lie.

And just like the original composition of another good friend Jemima Manalo-Pecardal says, this promise is anchored on His love, a love that can cover multitude of sins. A love that can cause the filthiest to be pure. A love that restores broken dreams. And yes, a love that resurrects lives.

On top of all these, being with fellow artists who keep on despite their personal struggles and issues of unbelief is powerfully encouraging. The joy of Sunday Radio is undeniable; you know it's more than what the world offers. So is The Flaming Youth and the Livingstone Band. We play and make music because this is what we were created to do.

Also, hearing Anni Karola from Finland say that she is here in the Philippines because it is "her calling" as a music missionary - just that - is overwhelming. Her and Jeff Lucas' talents could earn so much in the world, but they chose to play for the One who called them.

And it even gets personal when Faith Caronan, a UP Singing Ambassador and a fellow artist from Shine for Jesus (I'll talk about this more soon) sang with me and Jemima. It just brings back fond memories when we were just starting out as gospel artists.

Indeed, that night, God is just giving me another reason to believe and hold on to His promise, just like what He always does whenever I see a reason to stop. He does not get tired of reminding me and giving me another reason after another reason to believe Him. Oh, this love!

And though there are times I do not hear, He still sings for me. Though I'm unaware, He dances for me. Though my eyes are blurred, He continues to paint a beautiful image of me - the one that He planned many, many, many years ago - long before  He placed in my father's heart the name to which I will fulfill and forever live by.



1 comment:

  1. super like!!!! i am also a promise-believer, and more than that, i am a promise receiver.... the Lord promised early in my married life that He will restore my husband John, and He did as He promised abt 14yrs later... and over the 20+yrs that i have gone deeper in my relationship with Him, i have believed so many of His promises, that's why even if i have my own dreams (and you know how extreme i can dream, malaki kasi ang Diyos ko...), i can put them aside because my heart rests on His promises, not on my dreams...

    ReplyDelete