Saturday, March 24, 2012

Men and Their Wars

Since my ladies (Nanay, Ate Tessa, and Aryl) were having their own rendezvous for the day, I ate lunch with my Tatay and my cousin Kuya Evan. Over lunch, we talked about World War II and other war-related stories and eccentric ideologies. 
 
I was the one who started it. It was probably a mental hang-over from talking to a historian, Art Villasanta, at work last Thursday and from watching John Carter last night. But I did not intend for my lunch dates to be interested. So I was surprised they were. Men would just eat and go. But this noon, they stayed.
 
This made me (the lady-in-waiting) realize three things about men:
 
1. They’re very interested in wars. I know that’s too simplistic of an inference. But there’s something about men that lit up when they talk about “world history,” grand strategies (double-crossing included - haha), artillery and ammunition, power and dominance. They have this ability to explain the “world and its pursuits” like it was just my Nanay telling me how to cook adobo. They take you to a grand view of things, making you feel that they know and thus, you’re safe with them. Talking especially to Tatay, who circumnavigated the world many times, about countries and political territories gives you an impression that the world is just like marbles.

But take this topic to my ladies, it would shift to who shall cook dinner later, if there are still eggs in the fridge, or if I have let the clothes hung dry this afternoon.

I love my ladies. But I believe men are given this capacity because they were created to lead and subdue the earth. It was wired in them. Take away from a man his passion – the very things he love and want (like his family, career/vocation) and you will not only incapacitate him. You will turn him into a wayward man with no care in the world, causing destruction not only upon himself but the people around him.
 
I cannot forget that day when my Nanay asked Tatay what he will do if one of his daughters were harmed (like killed or raped). Tatay immediately yet sternly replied: "Makakapatay ata ako."

So, I think it would be wise for a woman to find a man with a cause. Better yet, find a man with whom she shares the same cause. Life would be much easier and happier if you support one another's cause, rather than both of you fighting over your own – not unless you want to stage another world war.
 
2. When they want or love something, they would. Men, at least those who are part of my life, are easy to decipher. When they want something, they want it. When they don’t, they don’t. They could just get up and put the dishes on the sink after eating the meals I served them. (I hope you read the “I served them” part well.) But they stayed. That means they want to talk.
 
If a man wants you, they wouldn’t “play games” or “feel the tide.” That’s good news, right? You wouldn’t have to spell out his every word and action. If a man wants you, he would prepare real hard and do what it takes to get you. And no, you don’t have to do anything to lead him on. You just don’t stop him. He would get the point.
 
3. They appreciate women who talk sense. I’m not saying you talk about wars so men would listen. But they are pleased when they can be levelheaded and discuss things that are in their minds and hearts. It engages them further to their “cause.”
 
So, that’s about my lunch this lazy Saturday afternoon. Haha.
 
Oh, did I mention I watched John Carter last night? One of his closing lines says: “Go find a cause. Fall in love. Write a book.”

Before I end, I know my blog falls on the International Women's Month, and I mean no disregard for ‘women’ with my title. Believe me, I have been a staunch advocate of women and children’s rights and I have my own ideologies of women empowerment. Women can have their own wars too. Until I realized that I can only be empowered if I stick with God’s design for me – and that is, to be a suitable partner for a man He will give me. Together, we will be fighting our wars with God as our King and Commander-in-Chief.

Happy International Women’s Month everyone. :)

2 comments:

  1. I also like reading and talking about wars. I have a scale model of two battles ships that is still waiting to be assembled. I watch them on YouTube, on the History Channel, etc. I dont know why but maybe its just the way "boys" are. 8-)

    Keep on writing Arla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I have yet to see that two battle ships then!
    Thanks, Sir Edwin.Ima add you into my loop too. :)

    ReplyDelete