Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ten to Three Hundred Sixty-Five (Part 5)

We are halfway through this recollection of my first year here in New Zealand. Several days ago, I started writing to remember and give meaning to what has been one of the biggest decisions I have made in my life to date: leaving the Philippines.

As someone whose father is among the first influx of Filipino seamen in the 1970s who practically circumnavigated the world, I have learned - ironically through him - how to love my own country deeply. Although his photos and pasalubong would testify how better-looking some other countries were at that time, he would always affirm that there is nothing more beautiful than your own beloved land.

Hence, this recollection series would not be complete without mentioning how my life in another country has made me love my own more.

#6: FILIPINIANA (Philippine National Costume)
Still singing: At the 114th
Philippine Independence Day celebration

I have never worn my Filipiniana as often as I did last year. In fact, three hundred sixty-five days ago, at this very hour of writing, I was wearing the same Filipiniana for my last public performance before leaving the Philippines. It was to sing the theme song of a new travel show called "Kahanga-hangang Pilipinas" ("Amazing Philippines"). And it is just equally amazing that my first public performance here in Wellington was to sing the same song and mightily represent my country during the 2013 Southeast Asian Night Market!

Actually, this journey of my being an unofficial singing cultural attache started out on my second day here in Wellington. That's right. Funny how I envisioned myself to be low-key and to just hide in the library or quietly do my postponed and unfinished writing projects before leaving. But I think that's not the plan of the Lord for bringing me here. He wants me to instead shine, enlarge the place of my tent, and be a blessing to more people through this gift of singing.

Prior to coming here, I was thrilled to learn that the Philippine Embassy - New Zealand is just a few blocks away from my university accommodation. You see, I have never been to a different country on my own. My closest relative, which is my cousin, is in Auckland. And for first-time lone migrants like me, albeit temporary, the first and important thing is to establish a network of people you can connect with. They determine the reach and the depth of your stay in a different country. Hence, it was really a blessing from the Lord that, before leaving, I was endorsed by my previous boss to the Philippine Ambassador to NZ herself, Madame Virginia Benavidez.

Ambassador-slash-talent manager-slash-official mother
In fact, my very first itinerary in NZ, the day after arriving, was a courtesy call to the Madame Ambassador. It was my first time to actually come face-to-face with a highest-ranking diplomat so I prepared myself well. But I was surprised that Ambassador Benavidez is not your stereotypical envoy: she is warm, engaging, and attentive. That prodded me to talk about what I do back home, including singing. When I showed her the video of my last singing event in the Philippines, she became very excited. It turned out, she had been looking for someone to perform for the 2013 Southeast Asian Night Market! I made my 'debut performance' at Ang Bahay, the ambassador's residence, three days after I first met her and from then on, she proudly refers to herself as my "talent manager" (because she was the one who "discovered" me here!).

Doing my share in the 2013 local elections
That started my rather 'deep' involvement in various activities for and within the Filipino communities here. I even experienced counting ballots for absentee voting wherein I tallied over 600+ votes from 11PM to 2PM the next day! That elevated my respect for our teachers and COMELEC officers in the voting precincts to the roof.

More importantly, through the Philippine Embassy, I also got to meet a lot of Filipino migrants, among whom have been in NZ for the last 30 years. It is enlightening to hear their stories because they somehow have the same cultural background as yours against which they see and live in their new home. It becomes easier for me to ease into a new culture because of their stories.

What I appreciate most in Wellington is that, since the city is relatively small, the Filipino community here is pretty united. I saw this during their response to Typhoon Haiyan. While we never ran out of power struggle/politics, personality and character issues, and Filipinos who talk badly about their own people as if they were never one of them, I saw that there are still a good number that consider the best interests of the Philippines because it is still 'home.' I appreciated those that nevertheless try to incorporate the Filipino culture and language in their rather foreign homes. And I am still amazed at how some teenagers and young professionals, who practically grew up here, can still speak straight (and I mean without the Kiwi accent) Tagalog!

Filipino youth to the rescue: Typhoon Haiyan street appeal
And these are the people I chose to hang out with. It's wonderful because you will receive several invitations to lunch or dinner at their places. They would open their homes to you and even make you a part of their family. There are times that you just become exhausted of negotiating your identity with a new culture and that you just needed some time to share your own culture with. In practical terms, there are times I am just too tired to speak another English word or eat another slice of pizza. I wanted to laugh at Filipino jokes and eat my adobo. This is why, I find it irritating when some Filipino migrants would unwittingly talk against their own country because really, even if you have your new citizenship, you can never take away your being Filipino. If one would see it in another way, it might be that your rather unfortunate experience back home has made you the kind of person that you are, which might be useful in the new country that you are in. So why always blame and complain about the Philippines?

Can't imagine spending my first Christmas away from home
without you guys!
But to those who quietly and humbly work hard, doing their own little but significant ways in making their lives and those around them better - whether as (and for) a Kiwi or a Filipino - to them I give out my snappy salute. For them, I am going back home with a renewed passion to better my people because I know, in this part of the world, a fellow Filipino is doing the same.

Big love to my Filipino family here in New Zealand! :) (P.S. I really wish to show more photos of other Filipinos friends but that's gonna be an entire blog altogether.)

No comments:

Post a Comment