Monday, January 20, 2014

Ten to Three Hundred Sixty-Five (Part 3)

Three days ago, I started retracing my almost 365 days here in New Zealand. I talked about my main reason for leaving the Philippines, which is the NZ ASEAN Scholarship, and the top two things that help me overcome homesickness.

Since another strong earthquake (magnitude 6.3, depth of 27km) struck yesterday, I decided to talk about my "natural habitat," which I have become accustomed to over the year. However, I will not write about earthquakes since I already wrote about my first big earthquake experience here. Undoubtedly, it had a huge impact on what I deemed are most important to me and it made me realize how unprepared and ignorant I am for my own survival! (Except for the emergency bag, I still feel I lack the necessary life skills during times of disaster. That's another project for this new year, I think.)

So for this blog entry and the next, I will focus on the less demanding and easier features of how I deal with my new habitat.

# 4: SCARVES, COATS, AND OTHER WINTER CLOTHES

Aside from taking a selfie at the uni's toilet,
I hoped I look like a student in this white jersey.
At this same date last year, I was shopping for t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts with my sister. I aimed for a casual look in New Zealand as I was really looking forward to be a 'student' again. Besides, it is a wonderful opportunity for me to dress down after several years of trying to look 'professional' at work.

Obviously, this plan failed. With the nippy winds from the Antarctic that get into your bones, called the southerlies, which can also sometimes blow with a gust of 120km/h, I was only able to use my tees for the first two months. I ended up wearing the thermals I bought from Kathmandu and all my thick clothes, one on of top of another, for almost an entire year.

And this is exactly what I hated about cold weather: I feel heavy with all the layers of my clothes! Even back home, I am used to just wearing t-shirt and jeans. I find putting on layers of clothes, even bringing coats or jackets with me, too much of a hassle. But here I am, trying to dress like the Romans because I am in Rome.

Trying a new scarf style:
the European Loop
And while most people back home enjoyed - and even get excited - about having to wear winter clothes, I was not one of them. A cousin-in-law gave me bright-colored coats because I told her that 90% of the people here in Wellington wear black and gray. She probably got a little excited. Can you just imagine how I shine with an apple green coat when I walk in the city's business district?

Once, while walking home late at night, a fashionable gay with an afro hair gave me a second look when he walked past through me. He was probably 'amused' at my coat that he even suspended the phone call he was about to make (while walking) just to say: "Oooh, purple coat! I LOVE IT!" It was so random that I just didn't have time to talk back.

My new habitat also demanded that I learn new things, like putting on scarves and beanies (also called 'bonnets' back home). My Vietnamese flatmate, Hailie, had to teach me the European Loop, which is a lot tighter and thus provides better protection for your neck. Apparently, I only know of the style that you just loop the scarf around your neck and loosen it a little to allow air to pass through. Why would you do a European Loop at the tropics, anyway? (For those interested, here is a helpful video posted by a fellow scholar from Christchurch to show 25 different ways of wearing a scarf.)

All geared up to brave
through Wellington's elements!
I also never wore rain jackets as often as I did here. But umbrellas are useless in Wellington winds. So I had to buy one, which costed $99, one of the cheapest 'storm jackets' around. It has a hood big enough to cover half of your face (in the photo) as the direction of the rains can go anywhere because of the winds. It also has a lining garment underneath, which insulates your body temperature. On worst days, I would put this jacket on top of two thick layers of clothing. And honestly, I feel like an astronaut on those.

While this may sound trivial for some, these tiny changes in outfit have caused major adjustments for me. The beanie, for example, is associated with rappers and hip-hop followers on my part of the world (not necessarily the Philippines - I have my own world at times). So, it was a little difficult for me to look at the mirror and appreciate my face with a beanie on top of it.

Wellington is a very wet city and it didn't help that I am at my worst during rainy days. Because of my weird stride, I have the tendency to soil my pants easily. I also feel queasy whenever I get wet. Back home, coming to work all wet is embarrassing. Never mind that you go daily to the office with your wet hair as long as your clothes are ironed and dry. Weird.

I still feel uncomfortable wearing beanies.
I look like a Smurf - a gangsta Smurf. :))
But living in New Zealand for almost a year had taught me to just deal with it. It has freed me from the stresses I foolishly put on myself because no one really cares - not in the sense of the fashionable gay who greeted me, because really, we still need to look good. But as long as you are clean and comfortable (that is, prepared for the weather of the day), you look fine. 

I wouldn't say that New Zealand doesn't have those people who would rather look cool and be cold. Oh, they've got heaps, especially among the younger ones. But no, thank you. I prefer staying warm - and bright. Haha.

P.S. I'll talk about the footwear - the boots, the 'jandals' (what jandals??), and all that smelly stuff tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment