Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ten to Three Hundred Sixty-Five (Part 2)

Yesterday, I started an effort to give meaning to my one year here in New Zealand. Since I began writing ten days before my 'official anniversary,' I thought of highlighting ten things (in no particular order) that defined my twelve months here. The first item was the NZ ASEAN Scholarship, which was really the main reason why I left the Philippines (read here). Now, the next items are those that make me feel like I never left.

#2: FACEBOOK
It is funny that my family are the ones who sometimes
get tired of video chatting with me!
I have never been so hooked on Facebook until I arrived here in NZ. From the moment I wake up (before I put on my make-up?) up until I go to bed, I check on my Facebook account. I even subscribed to a local telecom's mobile data so I can always be online. It has become a necessity, most especially whenever I travel, that I feel insecure when there is no telecom service in some areas; hence, no internet connection.

In fact, one of my concerns before arriving to NZ was how to stay online. I heard that the internet here is not as reliable and fast as in the Philippines. It turns out, it is just more expensive. Thank God, there is free, unlimited WiFi at uni and my accommodation!

A fellow scholar and good friend once remarked that if he wants to know what's going on with my life, he doesn't need to call or meet up with me. He'll just simply browse over my Facebook account. And that is exactly what I intended. In a way, this has been an accountability tool for me. I want my life away from home to be adequately open and transparent to the people I left behind - people that knew me before I got here. 

I don't know with other people, but I consider my Facebook Wall as a representation of who I am. Hence, I don't just post stuff without thinking carefully. I recognize that a lot of people see and are influenced by what I present them (or the absence of it). They weigh what they see or read. And those that mean well can even read the 'trends' of where you're heading to.

It doesn't necessarily mean that I base my life on their approval. But it helps to just have some home-based eyes to see what you fail to see because you've been living in a certain world for quite some time.

#3: INTERNET RADIO (Tune-In)
What's on my favorites?
Music has always been a significant part of my being and learning. Some songs actually denote times, seasons, and memories. So, having this internet radio on my phone was such a big help in keeping me rooted.

I was particularly happiest when I saw that 702 DZAS, the Filipino Christian radio station I often listen to back home, is in the selection. There is just something wonderful about hearing familiar voices who are speaking your own dialect and songs or messages that have been a source of encouragement to you.

In fact, I never realized the great value of a radio ministry until I had to need it. There was one season last year, I think during winter, that I had turned this on as soon as I got out of bed. It pumped me up into the day - especially on a week of non-stop rains. On the other hand, I would keep this up at nights so I can be lulled to sleep. That makes me feel like I am just in my own bedroom.

Until the internet connection fluctuates or is out of the telecom's coverage area. Then, I am again confronted with the offline reality: I did leave home. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment