Friday, June 19, 2015

Tatay

That face! :D
While doing some weekend cleaning, I chanced upon this old photo (left). It brought back that wonderful memory when I was overjoyed because Tatay was home for my elementary graduation day.

As a seaman, Tatay was mostly away during our childhood years. The longest time we would spend with him was two months in a year. It was my Nanay who usually accompany me during school recognition day.

But one thing I am most thankful about Tatay was that no matter where he was in the planet, he was regularly in touch. He wrote us letters, oftentimes validating us of our achievements in school.

So it really meant so much to me to finally have Tatay on my side for the graduation march. Finally, the person whom I have been dedicating all my hard work for was standing beside me. He might not know it, but he was my greatest achievement that day. I finished on top of our graduating class and was donned with all those medals, but I know in my heart, that success only became meaningful to me because he was around.

It just hit me that this father-child relationship is so profound that I still cannot explain why I find it a joy to please my Tatay. I could have been angry for not seeing him as often. I could have rebelled and point to his absence.

But while a lot of fathers get sidetracked with their desire to be a good provider, I just realized that Tatay did not have to give me everything I need just for me to love him. He just had to be there.

Tatay only went back overseas once after my graduation day. When he came home, he decided not to leave anymore. We were struggling financially during my college years. It was really difficult. Yet looking back, I could never be thankful enough to him for choosing to be a "father" more than anything else.

Happy Father's Day, Tatay. Thank you for being a father to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment