Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Sentosa Island on Less than $20

One important factor that makes a place a good travel destination is that you don't have to spend a fortune for you to enjoy it. That is my goal when I visited Singapore. Besides, my main objective was to spend some quality and purposeful time with a very good friend who has settled there with her husband. Then again, what is a trip to Singapore without going to Sentosa?


Sentosa means “peace and tranquility” in Malay. And that is what I was set to discover.

From Vivo City, I paid $4 and took the Sentosa Express, the train line that goes to the island. There are three stations to choose from: the Waterfront, the Imbiah Lookout, and the Beach Station. I was initially planning to get off at the first station where the Universal Studios and Resorts World are located. But from the train, it seems that one has to purchase tickets just for you to get in. And I didn’t (or was not even planning to – haha).

  
We passed the second station and again from the train, it looks like a residential place. So I thought I’ll just get off at the last station and if I don’t like it, I can always take the train to other stations.

But it turned out to be the best decision for me. As soon as I got out of the Beach Station, I saw a tiny garden of Singapore orchids leading to the Merlion walk. I had always wanted to have my photo with a Merlion and that is on my checklist in Singapore. I followed the trail of a colorful, oddly shaped elongated pool (which looks more like a ceramic art to me) until I saw the biggest Merlion I have ever seen in my entire life!


The Sentosa Merlion happens to be the biggest Merlion in the whole of Singapore. It is directly facing the city of Singapore and is considered to be the city’s “guardian of prosperity.” It is the only Merlion that is open for exploration – for $12, you can ‘enter its body’ and take the ride up leading to its mouth. From there, you will experience a breathtaking view of the city of Singapore. Too bad I came in a bit early for its opening, which is at 10AM.

From the Merlion’s 'foot', I saw people gathering around huge blocks of letters forming the word ‘Sentosa’ and having their photos taken there. I waited for them to finish and asked one of them to take a photo of me. A proof that I was on the island with the giant Merlion on the back: Solved. Haha.

With still some time to spare, I took three escalator flights up and found myself in the Imbiah Lookout. There, I saw the Tiger Sky Tower and a machine which allows you to press your own souvenir penny for only $2. I was not in the mood for a nauseating ride so I tried my hand on the latter.

Then I walked further and saw the Nature Discovery Centre. It was a small, two-storey space, which features the floral and fauna of Sentosa and the efforts undertaken in developing this island with consideration for the environment. It was nothing fancy but the place was serene. I wasn't surprised that there weren't much people there. The sounds of the crickets amidst those trees just almost made me cry. I was away from the theme parks, the shopping centers, and the gastos that is travelling - and I loved it.



In that moment, I could say that I had truly experienced Sentosa Island. That was priceless. 

A view from the Imbiah Lookout
I planned to walk further to the beaches and have my breakfast there. But I did not have much time since I am meeting a friend back in the city. Instead, I just had my traditional kaya toast and kopi (for $7.10) near the train station that will take me back to the city.


What a better way to end my morning trip in Sentosa.

Total expenses: $13.10 (the train from the island back to the city is FREE!)
But I don't feel I missed out on what Sentosa has to offer. Instead, I felt I actually discovered what Sentosa claims itself to be: a place away from the busy city; a place of "peace and tranquility."


Click here for more photos.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know the exact station where you took the train to Sentosa. Is it the red line which leads to Marina Bay?

    Here's the map I'm referring to.

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__yaHdqtuYEI/TKgzD2_YAXI/AAAAAAAAAEM/WNRIZEXk3gU/s1600/mrt_map_big.gif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James! No, I took the purple line and got off at the Harbourfront station. I got out and walked to Vivo City. Took three flights of escalators going up until I saw the Sentosa station. :)

      Delete