Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Boy with an Oversized Slippers

I was on a bus to Batangas pier last weekend for a music enrichment class with the young people of Mindoro. As we were waiting for passengers in Lipa, I saw a little boy who was walking on his way to school wearing slippers big enough to fit his father's feet.

I closely looked at the boy, his small frame and tiny feet, and his over-sized slippers until I lost sight of him. I can't help but ask myself: wasn't he embarrassed or even uncomfortable about his slippers? Self-pity, perhaps?

Oftentimes, life has become too big to wear. The things we see on TV, internet, gigantic billboards lead us to believe in "larger-than-life." We try to be wise, visualizing ideals for ourselves. But in reality, we see nothing.

The prominent 20th century Christian author, Oswald Chambers wrote, "Simplicity is the secret to seeing things clearly." That weekend, I saw things clearly. It was a picture of a boy at peace with himself. The boy walked steadily and purposefully. He was going to school, and thank God, he had slippers on.


Abruptly, Jesus broke into prayer: "Thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth. You've concealed your ways from sophisticates and know-it-alls, but spelled them out clearly to ordinary people. Yes, Father, that's the way you like it to work." (Matthew 11:25-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment